Sunday, August 31, 2008

Food Storage

About a month ago, I skipped out on Primary during third hour so I could attend Relief Society. One of the women gave a 15 minute presentation on food storage and it lit a fire under my bum to get my food storage in order. I have spent the past month putting together our 72 hour kits, ordering enough food storage for 7 people for one year from the cannery in Palmer, and canning and bucketing it all. The kids had a lot of fun helping with the canning.Before we canned it all...
Savannah and Izzy helping can milk

I tried buying a little here and a little there, but it never seemed to build up, so we went ahead and just bought it all at once. The only thing left to stock up on is water. I can't find a 55 gallon drum anywhere around here! Guess we'll just have to stock it in smaller quantities. Jeremey built me a pallet that fits in the closet under the stairs (used to be the nursery closet, but oh well) and we moved all of our boxed items down there. We still have to figure out where in the world we are going to put 40 buckets of wheat! But at least we have our food storage - FINALLY!

1 comment:

Leacayoungart said...

Good for you guys! It has been on our minds after that lesson too. We have all of our food storage in Wyoming. It does us no good here. So we have to stock up.

You can buy the bottled water from Alaska's Best Water (I think that is what it is called) they have those big 5 gallon water jugs filled for $7.00. That is what we have been doing.