Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Bedtime Helpers

Before we had children, I always said I wanted a boy first. I think it had something to do with the older brother protecting his younger siblings or something like that. Well, that didn't happen. I had two beautiful girls before my first boy. And I am SO thankful for that. Savannah is like a mini mom, which is both good and bad. I try to focus on the good, but also try not to over use her to do things I'm too lazy to do. :)
Tonight I announced it was bedtime for Gavin. I started picking up the living room and putting toys away in the girls' rooms while closing their shades, turning on night lights, etc. All the while, Savannah and Isabelle were cleaning up Gavin's room and getting him ready for bed themselves. When I came in, Savannah was sitting in the glider rocker with Gavin, reading him his favorite bedtime books.
After she was done, she changed his diaper (with only a little help from me - mostly holding him still).

Then she wrapped him back up, hopped back up in the chair, asked me to turn off the lights and sang to him. Isabelle sang to him as well.


Only then was it my turn. And only because I insisted that Savannah was too short to put Gavin in his crib without just chucking him over the side. I absolutely love being a mom!

2 comments:

Dana said...

Don't you just love that!!! My boys don't have that nurturing motherly instinct. But I can see it in Sarah. I was the oldest of my siblings and I think I did a fine job of it and So will Savannah!!

Jenny said...

what a good sister! my bentley is a great helper w/ the little ones, too. i wish we could get our kids together!